Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My son owns 2 flats. He lives in one and hubby and I live in

My son owns 2 flats. He lives in one and hubby and I live in the other. (one flat is above the other) He wants to sell his upper flat and live with us but as the flats are freehold, although the sale of one would pay off his mortgage, he needs to re-mortgage to extend the lower flat to enable us all to live with space! he is finding it difficult to find a new mortgage with freehold - is it possible to convert flats to leasehold to make it easier?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

Hi, as your Son has found out, most Mortgage Lenders won't grant a Mortgage over a Freehold Flat. You need to convert the downstairs Flat to Leasehold, by granting a Lease (I would suggest a term of 999 years). However, a Freeholder can't grant themselves a Lease, so your Son, as Freeholder, would have to grant a Lease of downstairs to himself plus 1 or 2 other people (I would suggest yourself or your Husband). This of course needs to be done before he sells the upstairs Flat, as the Lease for downstairs has to include rights over the whole of the building (eg rights of support). A local Conveyancing Solicitor will be able to advise your Son fully. I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. If so, please don't forget to rate my answer. Kind Regards Al