Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

My parents bought some land 35 years ago for some reason

Customer Question

Hello . My parents bought some land 35 years ago for some reason they put the deeds in my brothers name at the age of 11 my mum and dad occupied this land and paid the council tax phone line and every bill there has ever been to have been paid on the land every stone the gates everything . My brother got married 21 years ago and left the land to live in Stoke-on-Trent my brother wants a land back at my mum wants the land and deeds put in her name How dose she stand to do so .
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Generally speaking property law is desperately simple.

If it is in your name you own it unless someone else can show otherwise.

As such the assumption is that the property is in your brother's name because it was intended to be.

As such "for some reason " does not cut it. They need to explain exactly why they put it in his name, in what capacity and who they intended to benefit. Any evidence they can produce in support would be useful.

Best wishes

Michael