Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I've a question regarding the purchase agreement for a house

Hello, I've a question regarding the purchase agreement for a house I bought over 15 years ago!
I'm currently living abroad and am looking to purchase property in Germany. One requirement is my purchase agreement document! As I have no access to it, i though that the solicitor who handled it would have a copy but I've not been able to get in contact with him! Is there a centralise storage house that these agreements are kept in order to obtain a copy or does it require me to return to the UK at some point to physically find the agreement?
Thank you OJ
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

Hi OJ,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Do you just need to provide confirmation that you own your property in the UK?

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Al, thanks for getting back to me so promptly. I already have a land registry document. But it seems as a proof of purchase agreement is required. May a possible route would then be the mortgage lender??

Hi, thanks for your reply. The Land Registry Official Copy you have is evidence tat you own the property and in the Proprietorship Register it should confirm what date you purchased it. This is the best evidence any Body could ask for! The only thing your Mortgage Lender would be able to confirm is what date you took out your Mortgage. The only evidence you could provide is a copy of the Purchase Contract, but this will have been held by your Solicitor, and your file would have been destroyed by now (we Solicitors only normally keep a file for 6 years, 12 years max). I would therefore hope that a copy of the Land Registry Official Copy would be sufficient. I hope this helps. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Al. You've been a great help.
Best regards
OJ

Thanks OJ.

I would be grateful if you could rate my answer, so I can then get credited for my time.

All the Best

Al