Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

I think must be property related.... Assistant: Thank you.

Customer Question

Hello - I think must be property related....
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: The situation is this: My wife and her sister are estranged. The sister wants some children's books returned to her that were jointly purchased probably 20 years ago. My wife has loaned them to a friend And doesn't want to return them. Sister claims this is 'theft' and threatening to get the police involved...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A couple of extra details: The sister lives abroad (US). And claims she has a solicitor in the UK who can represent her...
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 9 months ago.

I cannot see the Flying Squad getting involved here.

This will be regarded as a civil law dispute.

If the books are jointly owed then the sister cannot simply treat them as her sole property and demand their return.

She has not bothered about these books for 20 years and your wife can argue she abandoned any proprietary rights years ago.

Best wishes

Michael