Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

We live in a period house of 3 leasehold flats and pay 25%

Customer Question

we live in a period house of 3 leasehold flats and pay 25% of service charges. We are currently going through external decorations - cleaning the building, painting/repairing windows, fixing roof etc. It happens that because we are a top floor flat - we are a lot more exposed to the elements so our upper windows needed extra fixing done from the outside. One of our neighbours argues that windows are not external parts and that we should pay the extra cost for repairing the outside of our windows 100% ourselves. The lease doesn't go into details of whether windows are external or not. We think the cost should be shared the same way as service charges. what is the right answer please?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 11 months ago.

It depends on the wording of the lease.

If you are able to upload the lease I can review it. However, due to time it take to review I would be agreeable to review as an additional service, $20.