Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

I sold a piece of lad through the auction house and through

Customer Question

I sold a piece of lad through the auction house and through the courts for breach of contract for non completion. A in the order I am being asked to pay conveyancing charge which was prepared by the buyer's solicitors.the charge was put as £1,500.00 and I see this as excessive. Should this be paid to this solicitor for a property of land the was old for only £800? Is it also the legally correct that conveyancing cost is to be shared and paid by both sides of the buying and selling of a property? Lastly are you able to say what is the difeirentiation between "Conveyancing" and "abitual conveyancing" as stated in the court order.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Normally each party pays their own costs. However if you are in breach of contract then the buyers conveyancing costs are a loss they have suffered from the breach (these could include search fees as well which could be about £600 on their own). If you were the breaching party then £1500 is reasonably depending on how much the property was actually worth. Do you mean the difference between conveyancing and "habitual conveyancing"?