Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have a buy to let property only and currently live in a

Customer Question

I have a buy to let property only and currently live in a rented accommodation. If I were to buy my main home now would I be liable for the additional 3% stamp duty? And if so, would I be able to reclaim that additional stamp if I sell my buy to let within 18 months of buying my main home?
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately you would be liable for higher rate stamp duty if yoi were to now buy a further property as a main residence. Furthermore you would not be able to obtain a refund if you were to sell the buy to let as it is not a main residence being replaced by a further main residence.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.