Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I want to ask a question about what happens if i breach a

Customer Question

Hi - I want to ask a question about what happens if i breach a minor covenant in a residential lease (150 years) as a member am I entitled to this for free?
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 10 months ago.

What does the covenant say and what have you done to breach it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not without prior consent of the lessor such consent not to be unreasonably refused during the said term to erect any temporary or additional buildings on any part of the demised premesis nor erect or bring on the demised premises any part thereofcaravan house or wheels or other chattels adapted or intended to for use as a dwelling or sleeping apartment or for the sale of goods nor allow the demised premises to be used nor make any alteration to the plan or elevation of the demised premises or in the architectural decoration thereof or cut maim alter or injure any of the principle timbers or walls thereof nor construct any gateways or openings in any of the fences bounding the demonised premises.I have added a door on the side of a bathroom (a stud wall bathroom built within a room in a victorian built property) and within the door put an airing cupboard. So essentially the edge of the bathroom for an airing cupboard which is accessible from the hall.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Lease says I need written consent for structural alterations. No other reference to non structural alterations, fittings or internal walls at all.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
reason I ask is because we are in the midst if obtaining a licence to alter for an extension and FH surveyor is very pedantic. He is inspecting the property and wondering whether he is going to complain about the airing cupbaord and therefore obstruct my Licence.not worried about cubboard itself as its just MDF can be taken out easily. I guess the issue is that I have cut into the wall which could be seen as altering the plan? I was wondering, given the context of the term mentioning the plan - could this be interpreted to mean the exterior plan of the premises? Rather than the internal floorplan.