How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3624
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My flatmates and I are in dispute with the property manager

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
My flatmates and I are in dispute with the property manager and landlord of our flat. We were without water in our kitchen for a month recently. The copper pipes in the property need replacing according to a plumber who has inspected the issue. However, the landlord insisted on a second opinion which decided that only the pipes under the sink were in need of replacing. Our plumbing issues have persisted.
The landlord offered a 10% discount to rent as a "gesture of goodwill". We understood this to mean 10% throughout the rest of the tenancy but the property manager has subsequently suggested it was for one month only. In the last month our plumbing issues have continued and expanded; the water supply to one of our showers has been turned off for two weeks whilst the shower has been resealed (it was leaking into the flat below). This has meant that 4 tenants have had to shower in one shower every morning, and all of us need to get to work at the same time each morning; a huge inconvenience.
We have paid rent with a 10% discount again this month, and the property manager is now threatening to escalate the arrears. We are minded to take this situation further but just want to confirm our legal position. We are under a fairly standard AST.
Can you please advise?
Many thanks,
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello James my name is ***** ***** I will help you

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'd like to know whether we can pay a discounted rent
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

I would pay full rent and then seek to reclaim it.

That is because if you pay a shortfall you could be evicted. Therefore I would pay full rent but seek to claim it back from them

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Remus2004



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Previous | Next >
  • Remus2004's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.

Related Property Law Questions