Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

If the lease for a property is silent on the standard /

Customer Question

if the lease for a property is silent on the standard / condition of the property is there a statutory level of fit for purpose ?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, could you please confirm if this is a Lease for a commercial or residential property? How long is the Lease? Any information you can give will assist me. I look forward to hearing from you. Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a short term lease of 12 months for residential accommodation.

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that there is no condition imposed on the Landlord to let the property in a good state of repair or otherwise. Under Assured Shorthold tenancies, the only protection a Tenant has is governed by the Landlord and Tenant Act- meaning that the Landlord is responsible for maintaining and repairing the main structure and heating system/water system and the Environmental Protection Act meaning that he is under a duty to get rid of any damp in the property. A Landlord is also under a duty to provide a Gas Safety Check each year (if there is a gas Boiler).

I hope this answers your question and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 12 months ago.

Hi, if I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Thanks Al