How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 44903
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I just paid 300 pounds to pand r properties in luton for

Customer Question

i just paid 300 pounds to pand r properties in luton for referencing and they said to me that homelet people that does the referencing said i failed. i called homelet the said the will charge extra 10 pounds to send me the reasons i failed on my reference and is going to take extra 40 days. what should i do?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

What are you hoping to achieve?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
if i can get my money back
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

The £300 you paid for the reference? Were you issued with any terms and conditions which said the fee is not refundable even if you failed?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Yes that you would like to get the £300 or yes that you were issued with these terms?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
was was issued with the terms and yes to get my 300 back
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Ok thanks. The first important thing to do is check the contract you signed to see if it allowed the agency to keep the money in the event of a failed reference. You have to remember that by agreeing to have the check done you are agreeing to have a service carried out so whether you passed or failed the service has been varied out and as such they could potentially keep the fees as long as this was made clear to you at the outset. So if the terms you agreed to said that these fees are non-refundable, regardless of the outcome, then they can keep them.

Saying that there is nothing stopping you from trying to pursue them further and exerting some pressure on them to try and get that back, even if the terms say otherwise. You can send them request and reminders and even warning in the end that you will take this further if you do not get these refunded. They can still refuse of course and if they do then your only way to get it back is to try the small claims court. I would advise against doing this if the terms state this was a non-refundable fee, but if it did not then you may indeed try that.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to take to pursue this further. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Remus2004



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Remus2004's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.

Related Property Law Questions