Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am a home owner, but now live in a rented disabled house

Customer Question

hi I am a home owner, but now live in a rented disabled house with my husband who is disabled, the housing association sent me a letter saying I did not inform them of change of circumstances , when we took possession of the rented property, meaning I should have told them we had a bought house, it does say that on the application, but being that we bought the house from them they already know but now they are say under the new legislation act they should not have housed us because we owned our house but we did inform them plus they knew bearing in mind we bought it from them, and we moved into disabled property two yrs ago both of us firmly believe this is a which hunt to remove us from our home, just because I had a dispute with the Director and at my husband and myself are both pensioners and at our wits end and my husband is severely disabled is there a way out of this . Pats.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: housing issues
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I want to keep living in my rented property, I dont want to be evicted

Did you fail to tell them? Is it a breach of your tenancy?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No we did not fail to tell them we told them before we signed for tenancy we asked should we be entitled to this as we have a bought house they said yes as the new act was not passed yet, why should we be punished for there failing

So your Landlord told you it was ok, is that right?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Absolutely she did why have they waited two yes to raise this its shocking .

Sure. What is it you have had, a notice to quit?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No a letter telling me to come to office on Monday as they are saying on letter under the transfer system on the date despite the fact that you were both at the time home owners.

OK - then you need to explain what has happened. You cant lose your home if they said it was ok.

If there is any issue you should complain to the Chief Executive of the Association.

They will investigate your complaint. If that does not resolve it then you can complain to the Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service at:

http://www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk/

They should resolve the matter for you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It's the director that's making all the noise but doing it through a committee who got in consultancy to carry out the investigation. Surly it should be the housing officers failing for not checking all this out b4 the offer she has added a few other issues that are absolutely absurb. And can answer no problem.

Indeed, that is exactly right.
This is why you may need to take it to the Chief Executive and/or the Ombudsman

They can not treat you in this appalling way.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
very helpful you just put me at ease a little bit more as I am so stressed thank you so much for your advice .

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.