propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

We have a business premises on a business park (B1 premises)

Customer Question

We have a business premises on a business park (B1 premises) from which we run an online medical consultanting company. We are looking to bring our additional existing aesthetic business on site (Botox etc), this is currently done ad hoc at various salon premises. We have sufficient space and equipment. Would I require a change of use to add this to our existing building use?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your message, I would appreciate you looking for someone to answer this question.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 11 months ago.

What type of use would the additional use be?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The additional business would be providing aesthetic treatments such as Botox, dermal fillers etc. In a broader sense these are not regulated activities (although individual practitioners would have their own professional regulation). These treatments are commonly offered in retail locations such as hair/beauty salons and also in private medical rooms/clinics/dental surgeries etc.
Given that our premises is B1, I am trying to work out if these can be offered in B1 or if change of use to D1 is required.

Generally Hair/ beauty salons fall under a1 retail. clinics are d1.

Change of use may be required.

Best course of action is to discuss with the planning office at the council.

Under permitted development you can change temporarily for up to 2 years from b1 to a1.

The council will determine if your use is a1 or d1.

The next issue is do you own or lease the premises? if under a lease, check it's terms. you may well need consent to change use.