Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I hired an Intellectual Property Lawyer to file trademark

Customer Question

Hi there,I hired an Intellectual Property Lawyer to file trademark for name of my company and logo. This was filed in October and last week I received the confirmation that the European trademark is now registered. However I noticed on the paperwork that the name of the trademark is misspelt. It appears as two words 'Anou Me' instead of one word 'AnouMe'. I looked back through my email correspondence with my lawyer where we agreed the classes and name it appears as 'AnouMe'. I never saw what got filed as I agreed to the text via email with my lawyer and in the emails its always been ' AnouMe' So I am wondering how this could have happened. I have emailed my lawyer however she has not got back to me yet. Also in January she instructed a lawyer in the USA to file the same trademark and in March she instructed a lawyer in Australia to file the same mark. I looked up the trademark progress in Australia and again it appears incorrectly as two words 'Anou Me' rather than one word 'AnouMe'. My company is registered in the UK at company house as 'Anoume' and even on the website it appears as one word not two.My fear is that the lawyer made a mistake whilst filing these trademarks, however I do not know for sure. I do not want to blindsided so I want to know how this error could of happened, if it can be rectified and what my options are. As i am a small business i an unable to fund cost to file everything again which also doesnt seem fair as I gave my lawyer the correct information.I look forward to hearing from you soon and thank you in advance for your help and guidance.Many Thanks,
Depika
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 3 months ago.

Hi Depuka,

From the information you have provided, it seems the lawyer may have made a mistake.

I would suggest that you soeka to the lawyer and request that tbey contact the relevant trademark offices and amend the trademark at their own cost.

If they fail to do so, you may have to take further action which may include a complaint to the legal ombudsman.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

kind regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi there,I unfortunately am not happy with this response, too many typos and not telling me anything i don't already know. I would like a response from another expert on intellectual property.Thank you for your time
Depika
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 months ago.

I can confirm that the answer you have received is correct and I'm afraid there is not really anything I can add to it.

All the best.