Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a query on adverse possesion and was hoping you could

Customer Question

I have a query on adverse possesion and was hoping you could help.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Is the land fenced off?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, the land has never been fenced off.

Its bad news I am afraid. One of the requirements are that the land is occupied excluding all others.

As such you an not go for adverse possession. Just because you have maintained it does not give you a right.

You need to show you have exclusive access for 10 years.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I just clarify a few points.The boundary between our land and this land, is not fenced off. But where their land finishes, it has a boundary by trees.As there is no boundary between our land and the piece of land next to ours, it looks as if it is part of our land.In regards ***** ***** access, we have had exclusive access and use of the land since 2002.How would we need to show that this has been the case?We have been using the land and can prove that we have had a container on the land in question since 2008.

You need to exclude all others. So fenced off or as such other people cant get it.

If you can show this then you may be able to steal it off the taxypayers for free.

You should read the Practice Guide about making an application for free here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adverse-possession-of-registered-land/practice-guide-4-adverse-possession-of-registered-land

You make an application and the Land Registry will notify the owner.

If they dont object then you get the land. If they object then your claim fails.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As it is a large area, it would not be feasible to fence off. What are the other options we have?

There are no other options for possession. The law changed some years ago.

You have to have exclusive access, excluding all others. That is a fundamental part of the test.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.