Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I signed a Sole Agency Agreement for minimum 8 weeks with an

Customer Question

I signed a Sole Agency Agreement for minimum 8 weeks with an Estate Agency on 21st February 2017. In the end, the property was only marketed for one day because I decided it wasn't the right time for me... I went back to them on 8th June and said I wanted to start marketing again.
The property has now been on the market for 4 weeks but there has been very little interest - only 4 viewings and no feedback from the agent. I also took some advice about the listing and was told that it was very poor. There are no internal pictures (they said I had too much "stuff" in my place... but I could have easily moved this - but they said it was not necessary...) and I have been told that this seriously damages viewings. The external pictures are also not good - taken on a cloudy day, bushes obscuring the building. Furthermore I had to supply to them pictures taken from the balcony since originally they were only going to put 1 photo in. The particulars were so full of inaccuracies and grammatical errors I had to write it myself and send it to them...
So my question is:
considering that I have a contract signed on 21st February that ran out on 21st February, and that they have hardly brought anyone round, the listing is poor, and they do not communicate with me - surely I can tell them that I can walk away from this agreement.
Or do they have any power to make me pay anything or force me to give them notice?
I would be grateful if you could get back to me this morning - I need to make a decision as to whether to go multi with some other agencies and they need to know this morning:
In reference here is the listing of my property on zoopla and rightmove:
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43086883?search_identifier=b04755ba7362ea14e70ce5b634e21c56#pHtW7bGARxcCtoFZ.97
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48764226.html
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

Hello - your contract was signed on 21st February and ran out on 21st Feb?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It ran out 8 weeks after 21st February so that would be 25th April
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't want to pay extra to talk on the phone - please try and answer my query online...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you working on this? Can you tell me?