Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was in a rented property for 18 months. I reported a leak

Hi there - I was in a rented property for 18 months. I reported a leak in the kitchen in October 2016. The building management said that they would fix it straight away. Nothing happened, and each day it rained outside, my kitchen would flood. I could not afford to move, so had to stay there. In January 2017 when this was still happening, I complained again. They docked my rent. In March the building management removed a meter squared of my ceiling. Nothing further. By June I was unable to stand it any more, coming home to rain and "roof water" all over my possessions every day. I moved out last week. I am claiming that the deduction in my rent implemented in January 2017 should be backdated to October 2016 (making my compensation request £400 X 3 months). Building management claim that they "did all they could and did not act improperly". Is there anything I can do to claim compensation for these unacceptable living conditions and lack of action on behalf of building management? This has been incredibly stressful and dangerous. Thank you. Jessica
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello Jessica my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much are you seeking to claim please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Jamie - £1200. £400 x 3 ad I think the rent deduction should be backdated to when the issue began. Thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.