Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

We have a small square piece of land in front of our house

Customer Question

We have a small square piece of land in front of our house which is a shared space between us and our next door neighbours (we own a semi - detached house). We have to cross this space to access our car parking area. We built a garage partly on this shared piece of land 25years ago with full permission of our then neighbours. My question is am I correct in saying that we can now claim this small piece of land (the area which our garage is built on) as our own?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 10 days ago.

Dear Lesley

No you cannot

In order to claim the land you would need to have and had have exclusive possession of the land which you do not have.

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond

Kindly rate my answer so I get credit for my time

Best wishes

Michael