Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

If I have give notice to leave a property after 2 years and

If I have give notice to leave a property after 2 years and the new property has fallen through due to health reasons. The landlord has found a new tennant but it is still before the lease date do I have any legal way to remain in the property ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

When does your notice period end?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
31st August it finishes hence the urgency we were moving away and I collapsed on Saturday and I am now in hospital
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. In reality no, unless the Landlord agrees you cant extend the notice period.

You gave notice thereby ending the contract, so cant stay even though the lease hasnt run out. You gave notice to terminate.

However if the Landlord does not agree then he would have to issue proceedings. This would take around 2 months to get it into Court and a further 6 weeks to get bailiffs. So either way you do have a longer period before you are forced to move.

But speak to your Landlord - he/she may be sympathetic and you can say he/she doesnt agree it will take months to get into Court.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I think there is nothing else to add I though as it was before notice period I could change my mind ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Unless it says in the contract then no. You gave notice and it was accepted. That means you said you are going to end the contract. If you could change your mind it would be uncertain for tenants and landlords

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry if its not the answer you want or the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

All the best. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face at the bottom of the page before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!