Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I bought my house in 2006 and the seller kept part of the

Hi i bought my house in 2006 and the seller kept part of the land. Now 11 years later the land registry right to me saying it was never transfered to her name and because of an error it stayed on my name for past 11 years. She has had keys to that part of the land but i have been the legal owner for past 11 years. What are my rights over this piece of land.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do i legally have any right over the land. Land registry have asked me if i oppose the decision of it being transfered on to her name i have said yes i opoose it because it has been my land on my name for past 11 years even if it was a mistake. What are my rights over the land and neither did i sign any transfer deeds either at that time.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you accept you were never entitled to the land as it was an error?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Ok - then you can not reasonably oppose it. As for rights over the land, you do not have any.

In order to gain an easement you need a prescriptive right. You can only get this with 20 years use.

As you have had 11 years I am sorry to say any claim would fail.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Than why have land registry asked me if i oppose this or not. What was the point
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They wrote to me saying i have the right to oppose it.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

They do. If you object it goes to an Adjudicator. But you have to have grounds to oppose.

You dont as you accept it was a mistake.

I am very sorry but sadly that is the legal position.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Because a error has been made by land registry that too for 11 years would they maybe offer me any compensation.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

No, that is nothing to do with the Land Registry. In any event you have suffered no loss - you accept it was an error.

Its no different from being at a wedding and being asked 'does anyone object to this'. Its a matter of course.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thats fine thanks that clarifys everything.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!