Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am a landlord and pay building insurance. Yesterday a

I am a landlord and pay building insurance. Yesterday a tenant left a candle burning in her room. The fire damaged the windows which means the windows have to be replaced. She was in the lounge in the flat asleep and therefore was awakened by the neighbours that the room was on fire. The fire brigade came and fitted an smoke alarm in the room. I was unaware that the smoke alarms were not working.I have just found out looking on the council homeownership website that building insurance does not cover. I advised the tenant that she will have to foot the replacement for the windows damaged. Legally I am or the tenant responsible for the replacement?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will Help you with this.

Does the tenant have contents insurance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As she is a new tenant I would say No.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we are talking about £76.00 in total to receive a response
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Ok. Then you are not liable.

The tenant damaged it, the tenant is responsible and should have got insurance,

So you are not liable.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My aunty is subletting her leasehold flat. She does not have permission to sublet. She bought the flat in 1986. She told me she did not need permission as the council was not making a requirement back then When did it become law that leaseholders had to notify the council and if permission has not been requested what is likely to happen. The council was Leicester City.