Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

In 2002, I moved from Lincolnshire to the Midlands and

In 2002, I moved from Lincolnshire to the Midlands and bought a semi detached property, the mortgage being solely in my name. I put equity from my previous property as a deposit and my then partner put in £25,000. He remained at the property until 2003 when we parted and since that time, has not had anything to do with the property either financially or with any maintenance. At the time we parted, he verbally stated he did not want any money from the property although I have no evidence of this. I am thinking of selling my property some time next year and would like to know if I am legally bound to pay his deposit back if I am successful?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 29 days ago.

Would you happen to know if your ex partner ever registered an interest on the Land Registry Deeds to your property (normally called a Restriction) to protect his financial interest?

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No, he didn't.

Well, there is no legal obligation on you to repay the deposit to your ex partner, on the basis that no agreement to do so was ever signed by you.

Likewise, as your ex partner has not registered any interest against the property, you are free to sell it and your ex partner would not even know that you had sold.

I hope this assists and clarifies the legal position.

If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you so much!