Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I separated from my husband 14 years ago. We are still

Customer Question

Hello I separated from my husband 14 years ago. We are still legally married. I live in the family home. Our children are 20 18 17 15. We have a joint interest only mortgage. The DWP have been paying the mortgage interest because my 17 year old is disabled and I am her carer. The mortgage term ends in 11 years. I will have to sell the house to pay the £100,000 mortgage. If there is any profit do I need to give my ex husband half? He hasn't contributed towards the mortgage cos he only just got a job after 13 years
Theresa Pinkham
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much is the house worth and how much will you need to rehouse yourself and your daughter

Are you considering a divorce?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Clare can I just check that I won't have to pay anymore than the initial £26 for your advice. I don't have much money. The house is worth approximately £,350,000. I will have to rent when the mortgage term is up. I don't know how much it will be. I would consider a divorce if it would leave me in a better financial situation with regard to the house.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

How much would a two bedroom property in the same area cost to buy?

Have you looked at shared ownership schemes?