LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

My daughter has just purchased a leasehold flat. She has

Customer Question

My daughter has just purchased a leasehold flat. She has later been advised by the adjacent leaseholder that for 6 months he has been in litigation with the previous owner about a significant leak in the roof which was not disclosed to him at the time of his purchase. Can my daughter obtain any redress against her solicitor or the vendor of her flat for not having the roof leak disclosed to her?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 23 days ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

The answer to this will depend on whether any misleading information was given by the vendor and whether the leak was covered in the questions asked by your solicitor. That would be disclosed through standard enquiries by your solicitor before purchase. You should check with your solicitor whether those enquiries were carried out. It may be that in the report on property that would ave been prepared by your soliciitor that this is made clear.

If the information was hidden you may have an action against the vendor. If the question wasn't asked you may have an action against the solicitor.