Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

We live in a detached house and a neighbour has built a

Customer Question

We live in a detached house and a neighbour has built a garden wall which wraps around the one corner of our house. We did not agree to this and when they started building the wall we never imagined it would be attached to our house. Can we ask them to remove it?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am still waiting for an answer nearly 24 hours later!
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 9 days ago.

Is it his boundary?

Does it follow the line of whatever was there before?

Michael

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No. They have built onto the my exterior wall and front facing wall. They have also built on top of my existing retaining wall which is within my boundary.

I would obtain Office Copy Entries of your title deeds and those of your neighbour from the Land Registry. We title deeds there will be a plan showing the boundary which you can use for ammunition. They can be obtained online from the Land Registry or a local solicitor can obtain them for you at a minimal price.

Assuming the deeds support our case I would write to the neighbour advising them that they have encroached on your property and are trespassing.

I would give them ,say, 14 days to remove the offending wall or I will get it dismantled and sue them for the cost of doing so.

If he does not move it get the wall dismantled properly and place the bricks on his side. Advise that any threatening words or behaviour will be reported to the police.

Any further points please reply and I will be happy to respond

Kindly accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael