Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have rented a two bedroom whereby the first tenant entered

Customer Question

I have rented a two bedroom whereby the first tenant entered into a tenancy agreement with the Landlord. I was also given a tenancy agreement whereby I was labelled a lodger and the other Tenant the Main Tenant. The agreement states that the agreement is between me and the Landlord and that the only right of the main tenant are to keep my security deposit and deduct from it any cost of repairs necessary upon vacating the flat. I have exclusive rights to the room and the shared living spaces. The tenancy agreement gives the Landlord the right to terminate the contract if rent is not paid and don't fulfill certain obligations listed in the agreement. The contract does not have a clause that allows me to terminate the contract. The tenancy agreement was signed by the Main tenant and does not have the Landlords signature. I have never met the Landlord and they have not made an effort to meet me and I only Liaise with the Main Tenant on all matters. I would like to know if this agreement is valid. Also the Landlord does not live on this property can this be a Lodger and Landlord situation in this case?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have attached the rental agreement and would like to know if it is valid.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

This looks like an agreement between you and the main tenant?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It's supposed to be. But the way it has been worded it seems to be the Landlord the name of the Landlord has been listed at the beginning. So my question is would it be valid if the landlord did not sign and only the main tenant signed.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

yes. This is an agreement between lodger and main tenant. It’s nothing to do with the landlord..

So yes, it’s a valid agreement.

If there is a tenancy agreement between the landlord and main tenant, that is a contract between them.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
One last question. So since the agreement does not state what my rights are with regards ***** ***** the contract how can I get out of this type of contract earlier then the stated date.Thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

no. If there is no break clause or early termination you are bound until expiry. I am sorry.