Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am really worried. 10 years ago I fell behind with My

Customer Question

Good morning I am really worried. 10 years ago I fell behind with My mortgage. I was recommended to someone who helped me by paying 6.000 to stop the reposition. He also did some renovation at his costing. With a view to sell at a later date. He then decided to rent the property out as he said it was not a good time to sell. Five years ago I took charge and put the rental through a agent. I had still gave the man all rental income of 675 for him to pay the mortgage of 400 and keep the ballance of 267 every month thinking I was paying him back. He contacted me recently telling me that I still owe him not only that I owe him but that my property is rightfully his because I had singed a document stated that on the sale of my property he will have 100%of the equity. And that I still owe him. I don't want to sell my house plus there is a charge against my property. Whilst I was grateful for help at the time I truly beilive I was paying back funds to him. In total about 13.000 plus. He has been taking these monies but still wants my home what can I do. Can he do this? I feel that He is being unfair. He told me at the time of signing this document it was protection in the event that I passed away he could get his money back. I trusted him at the time and did not seek advice to what I was singing at the time. I was in a very low place. Can go advise please.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Did you sign this saying he would have 100% of equity?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I did but at the time I did it realize what this ment
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I later found out that He also put a charge on my porperty
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I cannot call as I have no more funds on my card to pay
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

So you didn’t realise when you signed it that he would take the equity?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No at the time as I said I was in a very low place with depression I was ready to give up totally. This man said he was helping me. He just wanted to secure that He would get his funds back. I thought I was paying him back by letting him have the excess of the rent which he has kept. He said at the time I owe him 20.000 and He would walk away
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
good morning are we still communicating
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

So what did you think you were signing?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I thought I was signing an agreement that if I should die before complete repayment of his help, that he get His monies back from my estate. I was widowed at the time but have one daughter who had just gone off to university.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Did you read it?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
to be honest it was read to me at the time. It was only when I was going through paperwork recently that I got the true sense of what he had written up. I am not disputing His help or that he got me out of what was a desperate situation, I just don't understand how he could be taking 275 for the past five years and still asking for 20,000 pounds or my home!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

So when it was read to you, was it accurate?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I cant really say as I said I was in a very bad place and thought He was sincerer
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi is there anything I can do? this man is asking to meet with me sometime next week I rally need advise on where I stand
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
is there any response at this point ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

He wants to meet, on what basis? From what you have said, he only owns the equity, not the whole house.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
what are you saying can If there is no equity He cannot take my house?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

No no no.

I am saying that you just agreed he could have your equity, isnt that right?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sorry I had an hospital appointment so could not respond until now. I am saying I did not understand that he was requesting 100% of equity. I truly understood it to be 100% of what he spent to stop repression and renovations. that is why I was and have been making regular payments for the past five years to pay him back. He is telling me the house is not mine.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Has he threatened eviction?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no he hasn't just says he wants to meet with me and that the house is his
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Ok. What is it you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok number one is can he lay claim to my house? two can he have grounds on this document even though I signed in a state of vulnerability. three all monies that he has been taking from me for the past five years can I act as payment to his loan?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Can you upload the document?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will try
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am having trouble trying to upload. can I email the document
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Good morning I finally managed to email the document across to your email sent from my work office scanner. I hope you have received it. Sorry for the delay.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

It takes 24 hours or so to get to me.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

No problem

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Good Morning
Can you please confirm if you have received the document? Mr Charles is wanting to meet with me this Thursday. and I could do with some advise of where and how to proceed
thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 days ago.

No. Could you send it again:***@******.***

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi I have just sent the document via attachment. can you confirm on receipt
thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 days ago.

I will on receipt.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 days ago.

I have the document now, if you want me to call. let me know.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
would love to call. however I don't have enough in my account on my card to pay at present. would you be able to call me?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 days ago.

Yes, but you need to accept the additional service.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
hello what do I do know please
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

Ok, now I just need your number.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
My Number is *****(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Hi can you confirm that you have my phone details. As stated Mr Charles is wanting to meet with me tomorrow
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

Sorry I have been in Court. When would be good to call?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I am home now
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Sorry just I forgot to ask, I recently got married, and wondered can I gift the house to my daughter, if so will Mr Charles have any stake in the house legally.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

You can’t. He owns the equity. I am sorry

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
thank you. but I due have the right to stop paying any funds right!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 day ago.

Yes. Contract doesn’t say you have to pay anything.