cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  solicitor
18726264

I have been separated from my wife for 7 years the landlord

Customer Question

I have been separated from my wife for 7 years the landlord wants her out of the cottage and they have named me as still on the tenancy am I still liable
Expert:  cityguru replied 13 days ago.

Hi Welcome to just answer. I assume that you have made not agreement with the Landlord to be released from tenancy? if not then - whatever arrangement you made with your estranged wife - you are still contractually a tenant under the tenancy agreement. If they are taking possession proceedings then they would have to name you. If it is just a matter of possession then you cold contact them and say you have already vacated and have no objection other getting possession. however is there are arrears of rent then you may be legally liable for them - although you may have a claim against your wife to recover from her. That will depend upon the arrangements between you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Expert:  cityguru replied 13 days ago.

O expect that is not the answer you would hope for but I am afraid it is the legal position. Let me know if I can help further

Otherwise I would appreciate a favourable rating