How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 11742
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am considering purchasing a property in Wales. The sales

Resolved Question:

I am considering purchasing a property in Wales. The sales brochure states that there is a "small area" of the garden that has Japanese Knotweed and that the vendor would set up a treatment programme prior to completion of the sale. If I were to purchase this property, would I be held responsible if the plant was found on neighbouring lands and what form would that responsibility take?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  JGM replied 27 days ago.

Thanks for your question. You would be held responsible if the neighbours had evidence that the infestation came from your land. I have had quite a lot of experience with selling and buying properties with JK. As a purchaser you have to ensure that the seller gets, or allows you to get a survey from a JK specialist. That survey should say whether it has spread to neighbouring properties. You want to make it a condition of contract that the seller takes steps to eradicate all of it and it’s sources and that a 10 year Guarantee is available from the contractor.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you JGM.
Expert:  JGM replied 27 days ago.

You’re welcome. Don’t forget to leave a positive rating on the system so that I am credited for my time. Note that you might also want to get a JK indemnity policy from some like Countrywide Indemnities to supplement the guarantee from the contractor.

JGM and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you