Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have rented a property. At the end of the tenancy the

Customer Question

I have rented a property. At the end of the tenancy the tenant has not paid his rent arrears or returned the keys to the letting agent after being asked to do so. No one knows of the tenants wereabouts and he is not living at the property. The letting agent has tried to contact him for a end of tenancy inspection but he has not turned up for this. He has left a light on in the upstairs bathroom for the past month and I am concerned it is a fire risk. Also he has left the house dirty with rubbish outside the back door. What advice do you give.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve? Bearing in mind if you dont know where tenant is, your options are limited.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I want him to return the keys and pay the rent so I have possession of my property. The letting agent says I or they are not allowed to enter the property untill he returns the keys.

Have you arranged an 'inspection' to see if tenant has moved out?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The agent says they cannot enter the property to check unless he is there.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The agent has issued him with a section 28 eviction notice
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Jamie are you still there. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I dont want to switch to live phone chat Thanks

S.21 notice you mean?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure but it is an eviction notice

Probably S.21 notice. Actually you can gain possession if it been abandoned.

But assuming not, then you need to get a Court order for possession.

When you get a Court order you can ask for Judgment on the arrears.
But the reality is, if you do not know where the tenant has gone to, you would have a paper Judgment only.

But a S.21 has been served. If the property has been abandoned, you dont need a court order.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The tenants Father has signed to be a guarantor. Is he able to accsess the property to turn the lights off and is he liable for all costs ie rent arrears and any damage.

Yes he would be able to gain entry and yes, he is liable for all rent due and damage caused.

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.