Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a house of 4 bed rooms, let undder the Assured

Customer Question

hello,
i have a house of 4 bed rooms, let undder the Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement to 3 student nurses, i live in a 4th room as the landlord!
i am new to the letting business and have just realised my mistake. should have been a excluded occupier contract/agreement.
i intend to do a loft conversion and othe repairs that require they leave. i woulke to serve notice for them to leave. the end of there contract is 31st of December 17.
most greatfull for your help.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 21 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you would like to ask please?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
hello,
i intend to do a loftconversion and othe repairs that require they leave. i woulke to serve notice for them to leave. the end of there contract is 31st of December 17.
most greatfull for your help.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 21 days ago.

When does the current agreement expire?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Jan 1st 2018
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 21 days ago.

Ok. You can give notice but as you have let under an AST then you need to serve a S.21 notice.

This needs to be in proper format:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/assured-tenancy-forms#form-6a

You need to give 2 months notice, as that is required by law.

Once notice has been given and just before expiry a new agreement can be signed.

But you must give 2 months notice as that is what the rules of an AST require.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars on the page before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.