Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I sold my house on Monday 20 November but my solicitor

Hi I sold my house on Monday 20 November but my solicitor phoned me late afternoon on Friday 17 November and told me he will be retaining all monies as the was a charge on the property but I still had to hand over the property to the buyer as I was under contract and would be sued if I didn't. I am now without money and house. After many frantic phone calls and visits to my bank, the charge relates to one which was not removed by the bank when I paid off the mortgage in 2002. The bank has now applied to land registry to remove it but the buyers solicitor has made a spelling mistake with the buyer s name . registry states this mistake has to be resolved before the charge is removed. In the meantime my solicitor refuses to put anything in writing despite repeated phone calls and continues to hold my money. Should the solicitor s have checked this before I sold my house?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in Essex England
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: My solicitor has not written to me by letter or email he only states over the phone he will not release the money until the charge has cleared. My solicitor s are a bonafide company
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Cannot think of anything else other than my wife wants to go to another solicitor to resolve this

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Did they, or the buyer solicitor do a search on your house before exchange?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi had a call from a conveyancer from the company on 1 November asking for my old mortgage number but did not say why she wanted it on 2 Nov I emailed it over to her. I assume it was then they did the check

Have they said why they didnt check?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They will not confirm or deny if they have done the check

You should write and set out a formal complaint to the Managing Partner. They will look at it and then report back to you.

If they do not uphold the complaint you can then complain to the Legal Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service at: http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/

That should resolve the problem for you.

As I see it, they should have checked.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!