Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Do tenants require Tenancy Deposit Scheme certificate when

Hi - Do tenants require Tenancy Deposit Scheme certificate when securing a commercial rented property. Or is this still correct?There a currently no regulation for commercial properties. Deposit protection relates to residential Assured Shorthold Tenancies only, and not business lettings or any other residential letting in accordance with the Housing Act 2004.Thanks Andrew

Hi, the Tenants Deposit Scheme does indeed only relate to residential properties.

For commercial properties, a Rent Deposit Deed would normally be drawn up by the Landlord's Solicitor, confirming the amount of the Deposit and the Landlord agrees to hold the due sum for the term of the Lease.

This Deed therefore gives the Tenant the security he requires and is evidence of the Deposit paid.

I hope this assists, and if so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen. Kind Regards Al