Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Jamie, How would I stand if I hadn't served a "how to rent

Good evening Jamie,
How would I stand if I hadn't served a "how to rent guide" to a new tenant at the time that they moved into a house on an AST (after October 2015) would it still be possible to evict a tenant on section 21? and if not can I rectify the problem by giving the how to rent guide to the tenant at a later date and thus then be able to use section 21? If I'm unable to rectify this do I effectively have an assured tenant? I also have an HMO does this law also apply to HMO's?

Hello my name is ***** ***** thanks for asking for me.

Have you done it late, or just not done it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I supplied an EPC gas safety I thought the prescribed tenancy deposit information was what was required which i supplied so no haven't done it at all the tenant moved in 6 moths ago.

You can't use the S.21 procedure until you have sent the 'how to rent guide'.

So send that now.

Once it has been sent, you can serve a S.21 notice and it goes the normal way.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's no big deal then as long as I send it prior to serving a section 21 should i send it recorded delivery or call on the tenant and ask her to sign the copy and keep the copy perhaps?

Correct.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Jamie,
I added 50% bonus and 5 star review.
Just wondered if these rules apply to HMO also if you could answer last question if possible regarding
serving via recorded delivery or asking tenant to sign a copy of the How to rent guide for my files?
Many thanks,
Paul

Thanks very much. Yes applies to HMO has well if on an AST.

Just send it recorded - that is fine. Or ask them to sign to say they have it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, Thanks again,
Best regards,
Paul

No problem!