Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

WHY DOES MY FREEVIEW BOX STOP RECORDING BEFORE THE PROGRAMME

Customer Question

WHY DOES MY FREEVIEW BOX STOP RECORDING BEFORE THE PROGRAMME BEING RECORDED HAS FINISHED, ALSO IT SOMETIMES DOES NOT RECORD A PROGRAMME WHICH IT IS PLANNED TO RECORD AND A MESSAGE IS LEFT INFORMING ME THAT IT WAS A FAILED RECORDING. THE BOX ALSO FREEZES AT TIMES BUT I HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHY. I HOPE YOU CAN RESOLVE THESE QUERIES FOR ME.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your system.

p0llinate :

There are a few issues here:

p0llinate :

First, keep in mind that your dvr is essentially a mini computer. Keep in mind how quirky your computer can get if it is left on for a very long time. Like computers, DVR boxes simply need a "reboot" occasionally. Just unplug power at the mains, wait 1 minute, then power back up.

p0llinate :

That will take care of most erratic behavior issues. Try to do this every few weeks or so as a preventative measure, or just do it as needed if it starts misbehaving again.

p0llinate :

As for the not recording the full program, it is most likely due to minor schedule variations in the published programming schedule and what is actually broadcast. If you find your programs being consistently cut off by 30 seconds or a minute, you can usually adjust the recording schedule. Within the program/record settings, you should see an option (for each individual program, or a global option) to start all recordings early, usually in increments of 30 seconds up to 5 minutes, as well as to end the recording later.

p0llinate :

If your box is not syncing it's time with a digital/broadcast source automatically, you may also just have the system clock time set incorrectly, being shifted by a few minutes either way could result in recordings coming out incomplete.

p0llinate :

You might also try updating the firmware of the box, if any are available, to help with the stability issues.

If it continues having record errors, that can indicate an internal problem with the harddrive. If it comes to that point, or if other problems continue, you'll likely need to replace the box (they aren't practical to repair).