Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I cant initialise disc on hitachi dv-rv8500e. I am trying to

Customer Question

I cant initialise disc on hitachi dv-rv8500e. I am trying to initialise a d v d + RW disc as it says in the instruction book that this is one of the acceptable discs. I have also tried approx. 5 different discs from the pack.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

p0llinate :

I believe you've misread the instructions though,

p0llinate :

this model can play back a finalized dvd + format disc created elsewhere,

p0llinate :

however it can only write and finalize to dvd - discs

p0llinate :

Please try a - format, and see if that will work for you.

JACUSTOMER-0opphu6b- :

Purchased some - dvds same thing happening, will not initialise. machine ejecting discs saying unknown disc

p0llinate :

Hello, sorry I missed you earlier;

p0llinate :

a few possible issues here: this could be a contaminated or faulty laser lens (the write laser). Are you able to play discs?

p0llinate :

As I mentioned, this could be a problem with the write laser; which may even just be worn out (the write laser in these units has a limited life span before it "burns out" and can no longer create new discs).

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.