Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Sony DVD player model DVP-NS355. When I turn it on

Customer Question

I have a Sony DVD player model DVP-NS355. When I turn it on it sometimes shows 'Welcome' and then goes blank and stops working and sometimes nothing happens. Changing socket and fuse does not help
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Shahid, I'll be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions about your DVD player so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

- Would you like to take off top cover of player after removing screws on side and rear of unit for visual check to determine cause of problem?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

done that

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Excellent, please check power supply board for bigger capacitors, is it busted or its top puffed?
Please post back its condition.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

looks OK but not sure what a capacitator looks like

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

OK, do you have voltmeter and can use it to check output volts of power supply board?
OR can provide picture of power supply board so I can view it for capacitor condition?

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry, picture doesn't appear due to some reason.
Can you please upload it at any file/ photo sharing site and post the file link here to view it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

does this work. Cant make the file attach workl

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Please try following free photo sharing sites to upload the file and post file URL to view it..

http://minus.com/

http://imgur.com/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you had the picture yet?

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

No, still waiting the pictures.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I couldn't get those sites to work so I sent it to Dianne in customer support. Has she not sent it on. Is there an email I can attach it to for you?

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry for the trouble you are having to attached pictures.
You may please send those pictures to [email protected] and they will forward it to me as soon as possible, website rules do not allow us to share private email address.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sent marked for your attention

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, I'll get back to you when pictures arrived in my email box.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

Thanks for power supply board picture, all capacitors seems fine on it and problem seems with main processor board that doesn't boot up properly to make player functional, I'm sorry for no good news, we need to replace main processor board that would not be economical repair because player is bit old model and a new DVD player would be available in less amount than buying replacement processor board for DVP-NS355, please check following link where big capacitor is marked with yellow arrow..

http://i5.minus.com/iG0LHjMzfXiHP.JPG

I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this player repair or replacement unit. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,

Shahid.