carlday1
carlday1, Technician
Experience:  Self Employed TV Engineer
69505510

I purchased a Asus HD2 OPlay Multimedia unit a couple of years

Customer Question

I purchased a Asus HD2 OPlay Multimedia unit a couple of years ago and has been
working great until I made the stupid mistake of upgrading the firmware from 02.02.00 to
02.05.12, and now I have lost the 'Copy' function of files/movies to other sectors.
I have tried to reload the 02.02 'Firmware' but not allowed. I have tried the reset button,
and Factory Default without success - please help
NB No help from Asus either
John
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help with your question.

Would you like to find a way to downgrade the firmware? I am looking into it at the moment for you and I will be in touch when I have an answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Carl

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a copy of the firmware 02.02 on usb drive?

If you do could you try this.

Insert the stick in USB.

Press and hold reset and unplug the power lead out of unit, then plug it back in then let go of the reset button.

Hopefully this will force the unit to install the firmware on the usb stick.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Carl

Just getting back to you. Could not get back into the Web site, but now

sorted by customer services.

Your suggestion did not work with the following on the TV screen for a few hours without anything else happening:

"PREPARING FOR UPDATES

IT TAKES A FEW SECONDS"

Have you any other suggestions?

John

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

Is the usb stick formatted as fat32? If it is not fat32 the upgrade is unlikely to work.

Try this method instead and see if it install 02.02

Power off device while holding reset button, wait 5 sec, power on device still holding reset button
Hopefully this will appear “Preparing for update. It takes a few seconds” then release reset button
then the player go to reflash

Carl
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Carl

It didn't work either.

How do I tell if USB is formatted as fat32?

John

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

If you put the stick into your computer.

Go to windows explorer and right click on the usb stick and select properties that will let you know the file system on the stick.

Carl
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Carl

USB shows file system as "FAT' and not "FAT32" as you suggested.

Does this make a difference?

John

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

I would not have thought so but could you format it as FAT32 just to check it is not causing issues.

Also please could you re-download the firmware from ASUS just to make sure your firmware file is ok.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=O!Play%20HD2&os=30

Carl
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Carl

I formatted USB to FAT32 and downloaded Asus Firmware 2.02

but still same result. Any other suggestions?

John

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.

Hi John,

Did you put just the install.img onto the root of the memory stick. The player should be able to install whatever firmware is on the stick using the reset button method.

You could also try other firmwares and see if you can get them to install.

Carl

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Carl

Yes - nothing else on USB memory stick

John

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
There are other ways to install the firmware using telnet but these methods tend to get a little complicated.

I would try a few more times using the reset button method and unplugging the power supply. Sometimes the updates never go first time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Carl

Thanks - will try and get back to you

John

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Carl

Tried all Firmware ie 01.17 02.01 02.02 02.03 and 02.04

without success. Even tried to rename 02.02 as 02.06 and upload

firmware in usual manner without success.

Have you any other suggestions

John

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

I am sorry to hear it never worked, you can upgrade the firmware using telent but this is complicated and you can if you get it wrong mess up the box completely.

There is information on the net about upgrading/downgrade using telnet also there are many custom firmwares available each with different features.

There is some information here.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20101217094019941&board_id=19&model=O

Carl
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Carl

Could you download firmware 2.02 and rename it as 2.06 in order

to fool unit into upgrading from firmware 2.05, and forward it onto me email address.

I tried to rename just the file but it didn't work.

I am not very Tech when it comes to computers so I think I will leave

this telnet alone.

John

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

I will look into renaming the firmware for you and get back to you soon.

Carl
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Carl

How is the renaming of the Firmware going?

John

Expert:  carlday1 replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,

I have had a go at renaming the firmware and I have uploaded an image file to here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87068102/install.img

If you put it on your stick and try updating using this method.

Emergency Recovery Instructions.

If the O!Play accidentally shut down during the firmware upgrade, the safe mode will enable the
O!Play to be re-upgraded. you can to restart the Safe Mode Upgrade.

Please follow the steps below:

1.While pressing the reset button (The reset button is located on the rear panel.
Use a pointed object to press this button), Disconnect DC plug. wait 5 seconds and
reconnect DC plug of the Power adapter.

2.The message will be displayed on the screen as “Preparing for update.
It takes a few seconds”

3. The Media Player will re-upgrade automatically. Repeat the procedure Until the upgrade
has been successfully finished.

If the firmware cannot be upgraded with the Safe Mode. it means that either incorrect firmware or problems with the USB Flash Stick. ( Replace it & re-download )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Carl

Thanks for renaming firmware. I have been unable to download it unto my tablet. The problem is that I am now back at work and on a ship heading to S.Africa. I don't get home till Jan/2014. Is it possible to keep this chat line open and if not is it possible to make contact with you.

John