Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Good morning - I have a Sony DVD recorder RDR HXD890. For some

Customer Question

Good morning - I have a Sony DVD recorder RDR HXD890. For some reason the following `This function cannot be used now` message comes up on my TV screen when I try to go to the Guide button on the DVD remote in order to record a programme. Can you advise please?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

It appears you may have the wrong input selected.

Can you press the INPUT BUTTON on the top right of the remote , below the green button and prog up/down button , and keep pressing it until you get freeview on the screen (it will say DTV) , then press the guide button and tell me if it then works.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello - all I get is a cycle of Line1 followed by Line 2 followed by PR3 - then it simply repeats the cycle.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, test on each of them please Thelma.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again. With Line 1 on the screen I pressed guide botton on the DVD remote and got the same response i.e `This function ...`
This was the same with Line 2 and with PR3.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Thelma

Can you do the following please

Make sure that the recorder is turned on and remove the disc.

Hold down the Stop button on the recorder ,(not the remote control) and press the power/standby button on the recorder for 5 seconds, then release.

Then wait for it to restart and try to record.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello - did that and now I have `Easy setup` on the screen - deep waters!! What next.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, Follow the steps to setop the device, like when you first received it Thelma.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok - back later

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I now have EPG select on the screen (manual are pretty useless!) - which do I go for do you think - Guide or Guide +?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Do Guide + please Thelma

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello - what do I reply to the `external receiver 1 or 2 or 3` questions during the setup?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
It is usually 1, but it depends on which one you plugged it into
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

God only knows - I don't even understand the question - I'll go for 1 and see what happens

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, usually it is this when you connected it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I never connected it - the people I bought it from did. Right - so far so good, hopefully. Now - how do I know which programme number my external receiver (whatever that is) is tuned to on my recorder, as this is the next question?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You should have the option to Scan for this.

If not, tell me the options you have please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My only option is to use up or down arrows taking me through 0 to 9

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, use 0 please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there - did that and the 0 has been replaced by an = sign between the up and down arrows. Otherwise, the screen has remained the same.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, can you proceed from this screen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - but I am now in a real muddle - my problem has been I do not have any idea which lines, for example, are conected to what. Perhaps I need to start the so-called easy setup again?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Restart and choose Guide

Not Guide +

I believe you did not have +

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - that went smoothly - hardly any questions - at least I am back to where I started `This function cannot etc....` which is better than where I was a few minutes ago. Any ideas?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, we just need to know which of the Guides you had, it is not +.

It is the internal fault with the mainboard in the recorder.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by reinstalling it. The fact that it continues after this, confirms it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the device to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your efforts - I will take it in for repair and see what they say - can I then give feedback to you so that you can check if your analysis is correct?.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Of course, this is no problem Thelma.

But if it just stopped working, and you have not unplugged any of the cables to it, this will be the cause.

Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will - bye for now.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.