Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Panasonic dmr-hw220 eb about 18 months old. It has

I have a Panasonic dmr-hw220 eb about 18 months old. It has just stopped recording. Up until 2 days ago it was working fine. Now it will not record under any operation I try. Under some circumstances we get a message "No signal for this operation" and others we do not get any message just the counter stuck at 00.0000.00. It plays back all that is currently on the HDD with no problems, we can watch all TV stations perfectly. The HDD appears not to be full as the system says there are approx 245 hours of space left. and we only have about 40 hours recorded. Software update responds saying " no updates available" and says software version is 1.4
Any suggestions would be helpful
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

This can be caused when data corruption has occurred on the hard disk.

Can you please format the hard disk (you will lose the content that is on it) then once done, try to record.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello Richard

Unfortunately formatting the hard drive did not work. I have formatted it a couple of times but no success the symptoms are still the same. As a matter of interest the formatting only took approx 20 secs is this relevant.

Michael

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Very relevant Michael, 20 seconds is not correct, it would take at least a few minutes.

It is either the hard disk or the Hard Disk controller that has faulted.

Corrupted data on the hard disk can cause this, but we have ruled this out by trying to do the format. The fact it only takes 20 seconds indicates it is not able to communicate correctly with the Hard Disk.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richie

Just thought I would let you know. Connected a camcorder to the set and copied files across from camcorder to HDD successfully and viewed via HDD o.k. Also checked format again and it does work (it takes about a minute which is what the manual says) it removed the files I copied from the camcorder, so still no improvement.!!!! it feels to me that there could be a software problem?

Michael

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Michael,

It may be the hard disk port on the unit faulting, but we will reinstall the firmware (software) and rule out that as the cause.

Go to the Settings menu, then go to Other.

Choose Initialise then Shipping conditions.

This will reset the unit and reload the firmware.

Once done, tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richie

SUCCESS - that worked. Just testing a few recording options but sofar all o.k.

As a matter of interest I keep this unit permanently connected to the interenet, do you think its possible that the software has been corrupted via that method.

Thanks for your help

Michael

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Good to hear Michael!

No, it was not caused by the internet connection, just the firmware crashed. It can occur with these units.

Similar to a computer crashing.

If the problem ever occurs again, just run the reset procedure again and it should be ok.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.