Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

DMR EX99VEB DVD Recorder I love this machine and use all

DMR EX99VEB DVD Recorder

I love this machine and use all its functions regularly. It is 9 months old.

However, I recently set it to record four programmes while I was out, something I have done in the past, and next morning it would not respond normally.
It displayed a red clock (indicating something still had to record, although it shouldn't have), and LP 17.
When turned off and turned back it displays a 17 - but I can't find this message in the Troubleshooting pages.
I have turned it off and on, as you would expect. I have removed all the cables and plugged them in again.
I have tried pressing Ctrl^ and Ctrl down simultaneously, which produced a screen asking me if I wanted to re-format the HDD. I pressed Yes, pressed Start, and the re-formatting line went 7/8this of the way along the line and then stopped.
I cannot open the DVD cover, cannot use the video, and cannot get any further with the HDD.
I've run out of options. Please can you help?
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The HDD on the unit has crashed sorry in a segment of the drive.

It is not able to read the entire hard drive, nor can it format it to start new, this is why it stopped during the formatting process.

You will if you feel capable, be able to replace this hard drive with a new one, though it cannot exceed 500GB. If you open the unit you will see the hard drive and that it can be removed and replaced with a new one.

If the unit though is still under warranty, you can have this done under warranty, though I suspect the warranty has now expired.

But replacing the hard drive will allow it to record again.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.