Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Hi have Humax foxsat-hd stuck in boot mode. Tried downloading

Hi have Humax foxsat-hd stuck in boot mode. Tried downloading firmware update onto 4gb cruzer blade and inserting into humax unit and switching on. Still nothing. Are there any other files to kick start this machine. This is the first time have ever attempted to do this, so it could well be finger trouble on my part. Please talk me through. Thanks Paul
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you tell me the link you got the firmware from please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

humax online .co.uk

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Paul, wanted to be sure you got the official one.

The cause for this will be a power surge to the unit, which will have blown a capacitor.

We have two options, either I can explain how to find it and if you are able to solder, you can replace this, but this will void the warranty.

So first (as this problem is covered by a warranty), is the warranty still valid or has it expired Paul?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As an electronics engineer I have replaced the suspect capacitors in the psu and all voltages have been checked and are correct.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Which capacitor did you replace

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All capacitors on the secondary side of the psu including the 2200 and the 680. The main smoothing on the primary side ok. All voltages are now correct and stable. Happy with the psu. Have visually checked the capacitors on the mother board and they appear to look ok.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, this problem is generally caused by the C12 capacitor.

Does this look ok Paul?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

C12 replaced if you mean on the psu. There are no problems the voltages are stable and have been checked for ripple with an oscilloscope and everything is ok. Happy with all supplies. Just cannot get any response from the unit other than the green revolving leds on the front. I just cannot seem to get the machine to see any input eg firmware upgrade from the stick. I must be overlooking something or doing something wrong. I am so close yet so far away...

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Paul, I just need to confirm, 90% of my customers would not even know what a capacitor is.

It is the internal memory that has faulted. This is why the firmware update did not happen, and why it is stuck in Boot as it cannot read the firmware from the memory.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. But they are going to have to replace the mainboard in the unit.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I rather thought that this would be the case. It is a pity that there isn't an exchange system where I could replace the board myself. When you are retired recently like myself it would still keep me in good mental order doing work like that it is no problem at all to me. I wonder whether it is viable to repair it weighing up the pros and cons. I will have to get an idea of the cost involved as the unit is out of warranty. Oh well on to the next faulty machine. I will be happy to do you customer report on your next reply. Many thanks Paul.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I can completly understand Paul, especially if you have the skills to do the repair yourself.

I did a look around, but there is no marketplace for these boards, even on E-bay sorry.

You will need to replace the entire unit.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.