Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a RDR - HXD 890 digital recorder and have experienced

I have a RDR - HXD 890 digital recorder and have experienced for some time recording failures occurring during programmes. Sony have sent me a disc to update the firmware to 1.24 but after trying three copy discs the recorder will not accept them. When I try the HDD(blue light) option the panel indicator says 'load' but nothing happens.When I try the DVD(XXXXX XXXXXght) option the TV screen says 'cannot read disc'. Will be happy to receive any advice-I have followed the Sony written instructions to the letter.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

If the recorder is unable to read the disc, then the reading lens inside the recorder may need cleaning. You can do this by running a cleaning disc a few times in the recorder.

If updating the firmware does not help, then it is likely that the recorder has a failing hard drive and it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. The recorder plays dvd discs quite normally and I

have had no problems so far. If the hard drive is failing would there not be

other indicators? Existing recorded programmes play quite normally.

The existing firmware is 1.15. As I understand it Sony have admitted that

these recorders originally had problems picking up digital channels and the software update should correct the problem. Any other suggstions before I

try a cleaning disc?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
the 'cannot read disc' message needs to be dealt with first.
If the firmware is on a CD, not a DVD, the recorder will read this type of disc differently.
Hopefully a cleaning disc will resolve the issue.
If not, there may be a problem with the reading lens itself - it would be very unusual for all 3 update discs to have a fault.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply. I will come back to you after trying the cleaning

disc to report.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok, let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have applied a cleaning disc which now does display a message on the front panel, after loading the update disc, of 'DISC-DWLD' followed by

'LOAD' and after a pause reverts back to the display of the time and programme number on the tv. According to the Sony instructions the panel should after displaying 'DISC-DWLD' show four sequential messages viz-

'DOWNLOAD-2,3,4 and 5' . Any idears?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok, great, so the cleaning disc appears to have worked, and the recorder can now read the disc, and should automatically install the update upon detecting the disc.

The "'DOWNLOAD-2,3,4 and 5" messages will only appear after the update disc has been ejected - you should not press any buttons or make any changes until you see these messages.

If you want to check if the update was successful, check the current version on the recorder:
1. On the remote control, press the SYSTEM MENU button.
2. Select Initial Setup.
3. Press the ENTER button.
4. Select Audio Out.
5. Press the ENTER button.
6. Select Dolby Digital Output.
7. Press the ENTER button.
8. Highlight Dolby Digital and press the ANGLE button.
9. The current firmware version will now be shown on the TV screen as VERSION: .
10. To exit, press the SYSTEM MENU button.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.Unfortunately after the panel shows DISC-DWLD

nothing happens-the panel reverts to showing the time and tv channel

number. The disc tray does not open and I have checked with the initial setup menu after 20 minutes and the recorder still shows version 1.15.

on the audio out menu. Where can I go from here?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
The update process is not occurring for some reason...
this could be because the update disc is bad, or the memory that stores the firmware is bad.
If you have another update disc, try running it.
if the update still won't take hold, then the recorder will need to be returned to a Sony service centre for full testing and diagnosis.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you need any further assistance?

Let me know,

Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I think we have gone as far as we can go on the

problem without taking the recorder to a service centre.I have tried all three discs that Sony have sent me without success but at least you have helped me narrow down the problem somewhat.

Many thanks for your help