Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My SC-PT850 SURROUND SYSTEM WILL NOT SWITCH OFF WHEN ON/OF

Customer Question

My SC-PT850 SURROUND SYSTEM WILL NOT SWITCH OFF WHEN ON/OF BUTTON IS PRESSED ALSO THE THE DISC TRAY WILL NOT OPEN
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- How old is the unit and when did the problem occur?
- Does unit front display show any error code?
- Do you have voltmeter and can check volts inside unit for trouble shooting purpose?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The unit is 6 years old,on the front all that shows is the following-- -- --

I do'nt have a volt meter

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

- OK, can you please get one voltmeter if you have plan to repair the unit personally?
- Was there any other problem in unit before this one occurred?
- How long unit have been unplugged from wall socket?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was no other problem with the unit before this one occured.

I have only left it unplugged from the wall socket for a few minutes.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info.

- Does unit logo screen appear on TV when power it up?
- Is there any disc inside unit?
- Can you please turn On unit, wait few minutes to see if it display any error code or eject the disc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unit logo has never appeared on the screen,there is no disc inside the unit.No error code displayed .

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Ian for the info.

Unfortunately DVD unit has got problem either in power supply board which is not providing required volts to other circuit boards or main processor board isn't working for some reason and causing this issue.
It requires further trouble shooting in unit with voltmeter to determine defective board to get it replaced if it is still available as sound system is bit old model.
If you have no plan to repair it yourself then local repair shop will do this job but it may cost good money like 100 to 150 Pounds depends on what board is bad in unit and if still available.
I would recommend to invest that amount on new sound system instead of repairing this old unit.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,

Shahid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello,Sorry but I am not very happy with information supplied.I am not willing to pay £28 for this information.You have not supplied any information that was of any use.I would definetely not want to part with any money.Please respond with a positive ie that there wil not be any charge.THANK YOU.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still waiting for reply to my last comments saying I was not willing to pay for the information you have supplied .Please reply in the next 5 hours or I shall contact my credit card company to instruct them not to make the payment.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ian,

I'm sorry if the answer was not what you were expecting, if you have voltmeter and want to trouble shoot, I'm ready to assist you further.
Please sned an email to customer service [email protected] for any billing issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not want to invest in a volt meter as I am not confident that you will give me the proper advice.I would now want my £28 fee refunded back on to my card .

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Please sned an email to customer service [email protected] for refund or billing issue.