Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Panasonic DMR-BWT735EB: for subtitles on a timer recording

Customer Question

Panasonic DMR-BWT735EB: for subtitles on a timer recording you have to change Conv from off and set DR mode to change to one of the others. After standby, when the conversion from DR is made, I lose the picture and just get a pink, speckling screen.

Page 33 of the manual says you have to set the default DR mode to convert (during standby) otherwise no subtitles but pageXXXXXmode includes subtitles. By experiment that is only with manual recoding. Timer settings requite Conv no longer be off. Also, by experiment, I get the pink/mauve screen after standby no matter which format I set in timer recording.

Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

can you confirm what source you are trying to record from, and to where?
e.g. are you trying to record from Freeview to a Blu-Ray disc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, recording from freeview HD using timer record. I go into the Guide, select the future program and choose either single or series . The mode is DR by default with subtitles off. You can only set subtitles (to auto = on if available) if you change Conv to one of the listed formats. Leave Conv off or set it to off and subtitles are off. Immediately after recording, but before the conversion takes place in standby, the program plays with subtitles. Once converted the picture is just a pink with a few fleckles.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tony,
Does this only happen on HD channels?
Could you try recording a normal (SD) channel and let me know if it records ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Yes, worked ok on a normal SD channel. Went from DR to SP with subtitles (BBC two Freeview 2). It would appear to be a problem on HD channels.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Ok great, we have narrowed it down a bit.
Many broadcasters have problems sending subtitle information on the new HD channels. Try retuning to ensure you are tuned in to the best signal for the affected channels.
Let me know if that helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is not that the subtitles are missing. It is that the screen is completely pink - no picture at all - once setting Conv from off to a format.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I understand; however the recorder box appears to be having difficulty interpreting the subtitle information sent by the broadcaster for the HD channels and this is resulting in the pink screen.
As the SD channels work ok, this confirms that the recorder is working ok and the problem is with the HD signal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually, I need to experiment with Conv set to a format (and not off) but with subtitles off to see if it is the attempt to record subtitles from an HD channel that is causing problems. Subtitles record OK manually on an HD channel in DR mode.