Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

I want to be able to record from my Sky+ HD box to my Panasonic

I want to be able to record from my Sky+ HD box to my Panasonic HDD Recorder DMR-HW120
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. I have over 25 years of electronics experience. I can help you.

In order to connect a recorder, it's important to remember that the recorder needs an input. Right now the only input it is receiving is freeview. To record Sky+ HD, connect the output of your Sky+ HD box to the input on your recorder. Then run the output of the recorder to HDMI 3.

You will now have to set your TV to HDMI 3 to watch TV, but you will be able to record.

I recommend you use the RF input on your recorder, from your RF output on your Sky box, then HDMI out of your recorder to your TV.

Let me know if you have any trouble making these connections.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry that does not seem to have worked. I have tried both of the RF Outputs on my Sky box (There is only one on my Panasonic HDD Recorder). Would me purchasing a Scart to HDMI convertor do the tric so plug the scart from my Sky box the take the HDMI from the convertor to my DVD Recorder.

I very much appreciate your help

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
No, your recorder only has an HDMI output. They are either inputs, or outputs. They don't work both ways. It should look like this:

Sky RF OUTPUT --> recorder RF INPUT
Recorder HDMI --> TV HDMI 3

Set your TV to HDMI 3.
Turn on your Sky box AND your recorder.
If you do not see a picture, press the input(source) button on your recorder's remote repeatedly, to switch to the RF input.
You should now see TV, and you should be able to record.

Please double check these connections, and make sure they are exact.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can confirm that RF1 Output on Sky is connected to RF Input on my HDD DVD Recorder

My HDD Recorder's HDMI is connected to my HDMI 3 port on my LG TV.

When I select HDMI 3 I get "No Signal". When I press the "Input" selector on the TV part of my recorders remote control, it shows me the inputs on my LG TV. Only when it is on HDMI 1 do I get a picture.

If I press Record on my DVD Recorder's remote nothing seems to record

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that's because you're still connected to HDMI from your Sky box to HDMI 1 on your TV. When you put a movie in the recorder, and set your TV to HDMI 3, do you see the movie?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The recorder does not have a slot to put a DVD in it. I have already recorded some stuff on the Hard Drive which I can see when I play it.

Should I disconnect HDMI 1?

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
That's good that you can see the video, it means that the connection from the recorder to HDMI 3 is good. Go ahead and remove HDMI 1.

Now, play a video so you can make sure you're still in the right spot. Press Input on your recorder's remote repeatedly until you select the RF input. If necessary, tune to channel 3 (possibly channel 4, depending on the setting). You should now see a picture.

Are you able to watch TV with this connection? We're almost there... Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your incredible patience, when I press the "Input" on my DVD Remote repeatedly I do not see the RF Input.

I see Antenna, My PC, AV1, HDMI 2 (1 is now missing obviously because I have disconnected it), HDMI 3. They are the only ones I can select

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
No problem at all, I'm here to help. Select Antenna. That is your RF input. When you select Antenna, you should be able to change to channel 3, and view shows from your Sky box. When you do, you will be able to record anything that you see on your TV.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your paitence