Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Hello we have a DMR-EX77EB recorder, it has worked fine for

Hello we have a DMR-EX77EB recorder, it has worked fine for several years but now won't read any DVD's pre-recorded or blanks, I've even tried inserting a cleaning disc but it won't read this either.

Can you help?

Steve
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

What exactly happens when it tries to read the DVD Steve?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just get the red circle with diagonal line symbol on the TV screen

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Steve.

Do you hear the disk spinning in the drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a motor running all the time regardless of what input is selected, maybe a cooling fan? Otherwise no additional motor sounds just that sort of buzzing sound, oh and a "No Read" message on the units display

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Steve,

It is either the drive motor or the lens that has failed in the unit.

I wanted to see if you could hear the disk spinning which would confirm the lens.

As the cleaning disk also would not run though, from everything you have explained, it appears to be the drive motor (that spins the disk).

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit so a diagnostics can be performed and the faulting component replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.