Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Hi I have just purchased a sling box pro hd and am trying to

Hi I have just purchased a sling box pro hd and am trying to set it up to my shy hd box. I need to know how to connect it and what cables go to where. The sky box is different to the supplied instructions. Also how do I connect on line and find my sling box ID. The instructions I have are impossible to follow.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

First, to check, does your Sky HD Box have a HDMI inport on it?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the TV is connected to the sky box via the HDMI port
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, this is the problem, it needs to connect via the Composite cables.

You see the Red, White and Yellow plugs on the Sky Box Barry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have already connected the sky box to the sling box using the appropriate cables and ports
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Barry,

I did not understand your response sorry.

Your connecting the Skybox to the Slingbox correct?

And are you doing this via the HDMI port or the composite cables?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The TV is connected from the sky box by HDMI cable. The Slingbox is connected to the Sky box by the composite (red, white and yellow) cable.. Is this correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is correct.

Did you set the input on the Skybox to the composite?

So have the Slingbox on, then cycle on the Skybox through the input channels eg: AV1, AV2, are you able to get the slingbox to show?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No does not appear
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You mean no picture appears when you cycle through the input channels on the Sky Box?

If so, can you make sure the Slingbox is working Barry by plugging it directly into the TV please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried this and nothing appears on any AV channel. I have also tried changing the in and out ports on the slingbox and this doesn't work either. I am using the right ports I think - red ,yellow and white on each device?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes you are, so it is not the Sky Box thats the problem.

You also have a HDMI port on the Slingbox, use this to connect as opposed to the composite cables (red, yellow and white)

Do you then get a signal on the TV (connect it directly to the TV)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no HDMI on sllingbox. Should I be connecting by way of green blue and red composite. If so there are no similar coloured ports on Sky box
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then it is just composite for your model.

The Red, White and Yellow plugs need to connect to the red, white and yellow plugs on the TV.

Is this how you have it connected?

Green and Blue are for surround sound, you do not use these.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes red white and yellow from out ports on Slingbox to red white and yellow in ports on TV
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
That is the correct setup Barry.

And you went through all input channels on the TV with the Slingbox on correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is connected to AV3 port but blank screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

It is the slingbox that is faulty.

We removed the Sky box from the equation. We have also confirmed you have it connected correctly. In this setup you will see the slingbox on that channel if it was working.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

Once you have the new device, you connect it exactly like this and you see it on AV3. It is as straightforward as this Barry. You just had bad luck with a defective unit.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer