Nathan
Nathan, Technician
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer/installer.
59725966

I need a four digit multi region code fro a Panasonic DMR-EX86,

Customer Question

I need a four digit multi region code fro a Panasonic DMR-EX86, please
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

Nathan :

you have not found a code, because there isn't one. This player cannot be unlocked from the menu or using the remote that came with it.

Nathan :

The one thing you can attempt here is using a special service remote, which is also known as a handset hack. This is a remote that is preprogrammed with special service codes that execute the unlock automatically by pushing a single button. These are done using a code set that is not built into the factory remote. These service remotes are very expensive however, and normally only used at an authorized panasonic repair facility, and they cost more than the player itself.

Nathan :

Luckily, there are aftermarket companies that provide access to the necessary equipment on a rental basis. For about £20 they will ship you a service remote to update your machine, then you send it back. This is the only possible way you can attempt to unlock the player yourself.

Nathan :

Note that your model was new for 2013, and was not specifically covered by this service remote. Panasonic has not made information available in the technical documentation indicating its multiregion restrictions, but this service remote covers all of the other models in the EX series, of which this is a progression, so I would expect it to work. For £20, it would be a reasonable attempt anyway. If the remote hack does not work, then it means that your model has hardware restrictions and cannot be unlocked without physically modifying it (replacing circuits/chips inside the player), which is not something you'd want to do.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried two sources both have remotes covering DMR EX85 and 87 but not DMR 86. I have asked specific questions and await replies.

One of them offers a service where they will make the physical modifications.

Maybe I scrap the EX86 and buy a compliant version.

Bernard

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info Bernard, let me know what you find out, if anything. I know the other models in the EX8x series were complaint, but it is possible they made a hardware revision to the 6. It would likely be cheaper to buy a new player than to invest in having it re-chipped.