Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Karaoke Systems Manager, signal specialist, all recorders and players expert
63817454

I cant get my Sanyo Stereo Cassette Deck RD S20 to play a

I can't get my Sanyo Stereo Cassette Deck RD S20 to play a tape. It connects to my Sanyo Stereo Integrated Amplifier JA20. The tuner, turntable and CD player are all fine.
Can you confirm which sockets the cassette red (R) and white (L) "line in" and "line out" plugs (2 pairs of red and white) should go into, at the back of the amplifier; and what the position of buttons (in or out) and function "knob" (tuner,phono,aux) should be.
Currently, the cassette power button works, and lights up the speaker indication window on the top right hand corner. The eject button works and a tape can be inserted and removed. However, nothing happens when any of the function buttons, below where the tape goes in, are pressed.
Category: Recorders and Players
Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Connect line out to REC on your amp. Connect line in to PLAY on your amp. The knob can be in any position, but look to the left of that, there is a button labeled Tape/Source. Make sure that button is pushed in to listen to a tape. Please tell me the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I've re-connected lines and pressed Tape/Source button as suggested. I've also pressed buttons below where cassette is inserted/ejected. There is still no movement or sound from the cassette, for each function. Do you think the "drive motor" is dead? What next?

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
It's hooked up properly, let's take a look at the deck. Are there lights on the front? Do you hear any of the mechanical parts inside moving when you press play? Press play without a tape, and look at the bottom inside where the cassette goes. Do you see any movement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.I've done as you have suggested.The only light that comes on is the speaker display window at the top right corner.The Cassette does not play or do anything when tape is inserted and buttons pressed - no sign of movement when doing same without cassette, and no sound from any of the mechanical parts.There is movement to a spring or lever when each button is pressed, but this has no effect.

I've taken the cover off (to compare with my old one) and have just noticed that the belt on the large solid metal "fly-wheel" is perished and has wrapped itself around the small "brass spindle". Also when cassette deck is powered the little spindle goes round very quickly anti-clockwise, and continues to do even if I press each of the buttons. What next?

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
Good news. Since your mechanicals are working, and the motor is spinning, you just need to slip a new belt on the pully. Click here. Now would also be a good time to use compressed air to blow out any dust. Be sure to hold the air at least 2 feet away when you spray, so that you don't damage the electronics. With a new belt, it will play the tape.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX reassuring. But how do I "slip a new belt on the pulley?" There seems to be many obstacles in the way. I'll use the belt from my "old" cassette player; and it would be great if you would explain, as simply as possible, how I do it.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.

I would recommend getting a service manual. It will tell you how to disassemble the whole thing, and service the pinch roller and capstan. The good thing about that player is that parts are still available. With the service manual, it has part numbers, and you can restore the player to like new condition. Click here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rusty, I think we have reached the stage of "problem solved".

We know why the cassette player does not work, and you have told me what is required to get it to work, and how to do it.

You have recommended suppliers for spare part and service manual.

You have given good advice and suggestions.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Expert:  Rusty replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. thanks for using JustAnswer.